The Brandenburg Gate (German: Brandenburger Tor) is a former city gate and one of the main symbols of Berlin, Germany. It is located between the Pariser Platz and the Platz des 18. März and is the only remaining gate of a series through which one formerly entered Berlin. One block to its north lies the Reichstag. The Gate constitutes the monumental termination of Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of linden trees which led directly to the royal residence. It was commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm II as a sign of peace and built by Carl Gotthard Langhans from 1788 to 1791. The Brandenburg Gate consists of twelve Doric columns, six to each side, forming five entries to corresponding roadways. Citizens originally were allowed to use only the outer two. Atop the gate is the Quadriga, with Viktoria, the Roman goddess of victory driving the Quadriga. The Quadriga currently faces East.
Permalink: Brandenburg Gate