Französischer Dom (German for: French Cathedrale) is a Protestant church located in Berlin on the Gendarmenmarkt across from the Deutscher Dom (German Cathedral). The first parts of it were built from 1701 to 1705 by the Huguenot community and was modelled after the destroyed Huguenot church in Charenton-Saint-Maurice, France. In 1785 Carl von Gontard modified the cathedral and built the domed tower. It was heavily damaged in World War II, then re-built from 1977 to 1988. The dome of the church, which is a viewing platform open to visitors, provides a panoramic view of Berlin. It is currently (2007) closed for repair. The church also contains a restaurant and a Huguenot museum.
Permalink: Berlin Cathedrale